Mastering the Follow-Up
Everybody would like a one-call close. However, 99% of sales calls do not close in one call. You have to master the follow-up process.
At Josh Turner’s session on “Follow-Up Funnels” at Ascend 2017, he showed this graphic from a Microsoft study. Take a moment to absorb the graphic.
The Key Takeaways from this study are:
- 85% of sales people give up after the second contact with a prospect
- This is interesting because it typically takes up to five contacts to even become a factor in your prospect’s mind
- By contact number eight, you are most likely the only person to make eight contacts with this prospect (i.e., you’ve officially out-worked the competition)
- By contact number nine, you have a 90% chance of being the one who is called when your prospect is ready to buy
- On average, it can take 12 touchpoints to turn a prospect into a client.
What are you doing to master the follow-up, out-work the competition, and turn a prospect into a client?